Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Children of War


From Mark in Ireland's Blog:

For the sake of the children.

If you don’t approve of bombing kids, then don’t give the bombers money.



I consider children to be quite a blessing. I don't have any children, mainly due to the fact that I never wanted to be a single parent and I never felt a great urge to marry someone either. It has made me sad (at times) that I never had a child, but for the vast majority of my life, I am okay without having that blessing in my life.

I have worked with children for most of my career - I work to help them hear and communicate better. I spent hours today getting audiometers ready for the new school year, getting hearing aid checking kits ready for the teachers, getting FM systems checked out and charged up. FM systems are assistive listening devices. And all that was at my part-time job.

It sickens me beyond words to see children suffer from the cruelty and stupidity of adults. It angers me beyond words - that are still decent - when people plan or start wars, that always results in the children suffering the worst.

I wish I could do something to stop their pain and suffering. I wish I could stop war. Tomorrow I am going to Oak Ridge TN to protest the building of nuclear bombs. It is truly insane that we have weapons like this, and terribly frightening to think we might use them one day.

This country, and the world will pay a horrible price if we do. And the children will suffer the most of all.


*Quote of the week*

"The sickening slaughter on both sides must end now... President
Bush must call for an immediate cease-fire. This madness must
stop." - Sen. Chuck Hagel (NE)

No comments: