Saturday, May 10, 2008

Cheoah River has water



Photo of one tricky rapid in the Cheoah River below. Water coming out of dam above.

Yesterday, I drove up to the Cheoah River, to see the river with water in it. Actually, they started releasing water into the Cheoah in 2005, but this was the first time I got to see it. I have been meaning to do this for years.

I first saw the Cheoah river about 15 or so years ago. It is way up in the mountains of western NC, close to TN and the town of Robbinsville. The road up there is very curvy, which makes it popular for motorcyclists. There are three dams up that way - Fontana, Cheoah, and Santeelah. The last two looked full, however Fontana Lake still looked low, and I was told there has not been the regular winter draw down of the lake since 2005. I was also told that the level is higher this year than it was in May 2007. The water for the Cheoah river is released via the Santeelah dam. I don't quite follow that, but that is how it is.

When I saw this river many years ago, it was dry. I remember thinking that it would have some great whitewater potential, and it does. However, I stopped boating four years ago, so running it now would be out of the question. Most of the river looked like Ocoee-stuff to me, but the rapid pictured above would be nasty for someone without the skills to run it. I was told the rafts run it on far river right, which is not seen too well in the photo.

The other photo is water coming out of the Santeelah Dam. It was the generation before me that build all these dams way up in the mountains to generate electricity. These dams certainly destroyed a lot of the area when built, but provided electricity and (some would say) "entertainment" opportunities. I do not consider anything with a motor to be entertaining, so the motor boats, jet skis, and houseboats do not strike me as very entertaining. It was people in my generation who got water released into the river for whitewater rafting and kayaking, and it is the next generation (mostly) who are enjoying that.

However, the number of people up there seemed low. Same for the Nantahala River and the area around NOC..... just not many people for a nice spring day. And dinner at River's End cost me $14 with the tip - which is about twice what it was seven or so years ago. I think the numbers are down because of the cost of gas and the sinking economy. Just my guess, though.

No comments: