Thursday, July 17, 2008

The end of the wonderful license plates


The other night, I went to Music on the Quad at UNCA. A co-worker was there, and gave me a delicious brownie. Afterwards, one of her friends asked me what I was doing with the little red cup that I held in my hands and stared into. I told her that it had small beads in it, and I was stringing them on a fishing line. It is for a memorial for all the Iraqis killed in this illegal invasion and occupation. She said to me "I thought you were mentally disturbed!" Well, I told her I am mentally disturbed, because I know what my government has been doing, and one day she would join me - only she would be shocked along with being mentally disturbed.

For the past three years, I have had a license plate on my car that says IMPEACH. That is all it says, and I have really enjoyed having them on my car. I have gotten tons of positive feedback, including people who nearly had wrecks to tell me they liked my plates. Only twice did I get negative feedback, in three years time.

This month, I have to replace my plates. I did not want IMPEACH on the car after Obama is elected, because I think he deserves a chance before I (or anyone) calls for him to be impeached. And frankly, if we are not going to impeach bush & cheney for their crimes, I don't see where impeachment would be applicable to anyone else in our country, no matter what they do or don't do.

So now I have some dumb letters on my car license plates. I miss the IMPEACH plates already. The picture above is Col. Ann Wright standing by my car last May.

No comments: