Friday, February 28, 2014

First LTE about the Duke Energy coal ash spill

This one was published in the Asheville Citizen Times, and some of the comments posted on their website are unbelievable.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++



If I were to walk into the office of the CEO of Duke and “accidentally” trip and spill coal ash all over her fine mahogany desk, I believe I would be arrested. And I don’t think my claims of “saving money” by not buying a proper container and lid for the coal ash I was carrying around (and was responsible for) would carry much weight with the arrest process or trial.  

And this example points to something rather amazing: I could be sent to jail for destroying a desk, yet Duke Energy is given kid glove treatment for destroying an entire river, including the animals and fish, and a water supply for many humans. No one has been arrested or threatened with arrest, at least so far.  

I am guessing there will be a fine against Duke Energy one day, which will be paid for by the customers of Duke Energy (as will the clean-up), but no arrests and no trials. Duke Energy seems to be only interested in profit, profit, profit, and does not care one bit about the people that are their captive customers or the environment in which they live.



No comments: