Monday, August 22, 2005

Ali Nasir Jabur

Ali is a 10 year old who lives in Tikrit. I found his picture on Yahoo News photos by the Associated Press. Ali is squatting in the back of a truck, and in one photo he is looking at the photographer, and in another he is holding his head in his hands. There is not a single story written about Ali or what happened to him, just two photographs.

With Ali in the back of the truck is the dead bodies of his parents, his two brothers and his sister. The caption says that unknown gunman wearing Iraqi security forces raided their home the previous night, while Ali was hidden under a blanket. Ali survived. His family is dead. The world barely notices. I noticed.

I hope that the killers of these people are found and brought to justice. I hope the people who started this war, which lead to this awful, violent, lawless situation, are also brought to justice. I hope and pray that Ali will be okay, and I hope he finds this blog one day and knows that at least one American noticed what happened, that at least one American cared. And there is one more thing I will do: I will make 100 copies of the photo of Ali in the truck with his five dead family members and I will give one to each and every US Senator's office. I cannot guarantee that the Senators will see them, but someone working in their office will. I will write on there: HELP THIS CHILD. I will point out that they are responsible for having started this war which lead to this horrific loss for Ali, and that they are responsible for this child and his well being. And I will hold Ali and his friends, neighbors, relatives and fellow countrymen in the light.

I wish I could do more. I also wish (unkind and un-Christian as this may be) that this type of loss and suffering would come into the life of each and every warmonger.

May Ali's family rest in peace. May Ali find a decent life inspite of his unbelivable losses and his country in turmoil.

No comments: