Thursday, August 11, 2005

Lighting Candles

Last night, our local Peace Coalition group marked the 60th anniversary of the bombing of Nagasaki. We had a candlelight prayer vigil in our square downtown here in Asheville. We started with a circle with about 35 people there, and then we set up candle luminaries and floating candles around the fountain in Pack Square. It looked quite beautiful and peaceful.

I don’t know if our prayers and wishes for the innocent victims of war will stop any future killing or stop any future wars or even stop any more dropping of nuclear bombs. I just know I have to light a candle (well, many of them) against the darkness and the evil of war and nuclear bombs. I know we have to win this struggle before we put an end to any more innocent lives, before we ruin our world with nuclear pollution. Never in the history of humankind has a weapon been made and then not utilized, but with these nuclear weapons, we must make sure that does not happen – not now, not ever.

Also, I want to say I am so proud of my friend, Cindy Sheehan, who is protesting outside Bush’s ranch in Texas. She is finally getting some publicity (more than she got for our March 19th/20th rallies and march). I am proud of what she is doing, and proud to call her my friend. I can only imagine that camping out in the Texas heat is much easier than burying your child from a senseless war.

Cindy and Gold Star Families for Peace have asked all of us to call the White House (202-456-1111) or email Mr. Bush (president@whitehouse.gov) and tell him: “ Talk to Cindy”.

And contributions to Gold Star Families for Peace or Code Pink would also be appreciated.

No comments: