Saturday, August 04, 2007

Our comfortable existence

"The comfortable existence many of us know now, as American citizens will soon be nothing but a fond memory if the ship of state is not set right. We need to end the war in Iraq but we also need to impeach George W. Bush and Dick Cheney in order to restore the Constitution and reestablish the rule of law. Every time one person speaks up, it gives courage to others. Where there were twenty voices being raised, next time there will be forty. Bush said the Constitution was "just a piece of paper". We need to take whatever steps are necessary to restore the Constitution and the Bill of Rights." - Ken Ashe, Veterans for Peace

I agree completely. We need to get feet in the street, and speak up and speak out whenever and where ever we can - otherwise, we risk having all our rights taken away and our Constitution destroyed. We need to stop the relentless war machine in the USA before it takes us to a world war than comes close to destroying the planet. I am hoping that we go broke before we get into war this far, because if we do get into war this far, we will go broke anyway. I don't want war to come to my front porch, but I could hardly blame the world for doing that to stop this government.

Today, bush/cheney is selling weapons to Saudi Arabia, Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon, Bahrain, and likely other Middle East countries also. This is their idea on how to "contain" Iran even though Iran has not done anything wrong. Just last summer, the bush/cheney administration was sending cluster bombs to Israel to drop on Lebanon, and today there are plane loads of bombs and weapons going into Lebanon's airport. I would guess they end up being used on Israel. Today, the US is arming Sunni extremists in Iraq, and there are also reports that they are arming and funding Sunni extremists in Lebanon and Saudi Arabia. They are sending arms to Fatah to use on Hamas. They refuse to talk to Hamas or Hezbollah, even though these groups were elected by their fellow countrymen. It is all quite insane.

Today, I am going to Oak Ridge Tennessee to protest the building of more nuclear bombs. We already have more nuclear bombs than we will ever need, and if we go and use them on anyone, they may retaliate with more nuclear bombs - and this could lead to the end of life on the planet (although I like to be flippant and say that nuclear winter may overcome global warming).

Today, I will leave behind my comfortable existence and march in the hot August sun in Tennessee, only to make a statement. I like to call it "melt-your-face-off-hot" but when I am done, I will come home and sleep in my comfortable bed and resume my comfortable life.

If we don't disarm the entire planet of nuclear weapons, we may all lose our comfortable existence. If we don't impeach to protect our US Constitution, we may lose that totally also.

No comments: