Friday, April 23, 2010

Obama in Asheville

President Obama and his lovely wife, and about a dozen cars and trucks and small buses filled with who-knows-who, came to Asheville today.  I was standing on Charlotte Street when he first went to Grove Park Inn, and was holding this sign plus a banner that said "Honor the image of God:  Stop Torture Now".  It turns out Obama and company left the Inn and went for a hike on the Blue Ridge Parkway a short while later, but I and my friends had left by that time.  No one was taking pictures of me while I was standing there, unlike when I was holding the very same sign for Bush back in 2003.  Of course, this time around, the President could actually read the sign himself.   The above picture was taken after 5 PM, after the Obama group had passed this intersection on the way back to the Grove Park Inn.  This is a picture of me holding the sign in the same spot as when the group passed.  I did not want to get any closer since the guys in the dark SUVs were looking at me funny and making me nervous.  But I am sure that Obama had a chance to read the sign and see the other protesters out there this fine spring evening.  Below are some pictures of them.


No comments: