Friday, September 07, 2012

Self-reliance

I am self-sufficient and self-supporting and self-reliant, and have been so all my adult life, with the exception of collecting unemployment for six months in 1998.  I am lucky to have been healthy my entire life.  I expect, if I am lucky enough to live to be elderly, that I will become NON self-sufficient, or maybe just less self-sufficient.   But this cartoon points out - correctly, in my opinion - that if you are elderly and sick, you need help.  And it points out where the Ryan Republican party wants to take all of us.

I am baffled by the people in this country who do not want to help out other people who are poor, homeless, sick, elderly, or whatever - when in fact, THEY will be in that place at some future time in their lives.  I am also baffled by the desire to get the little people, the "welfare queens", when in fact what is hurting our economy is the MASSIVE AMOUNT OF CORPORATE WELFARE that this country hands out decade after decade after decade.  And they don't seem to care about that.

No comments: