Friday, January 09, 2015

The story of Fahd Ghazy



Words from Fahd Ghazy:

To begin, please forgive me for not saying the right things or making the right points. There are different cultures between us and many different experiences. 
It hurts me that I do not have the privilege to express myself. I want to have the honor to speak out in my own voice and reach you directly -- you who are thinking people. I want to say thank you for caring. You are willing to view me as a human being and that is something so precious to me. 
My exposure to the world came through Guantanamo. I was 17 when they sent me here. At that time, I had rarely seen a television or heard a radio. Every significant event in my life, from funerals, to my own wedding, to the birth of my beloved daughter, Hafsa, happened in the Diwan of my own home. Now I am almost 31.
It is beyond horrific that this innocent man has been kept in a horrible prison for over a decade. It is beyond belief that the USA has done this. The idea that we are a land of the free is a sickening myth. The idea that we have any morality is a very sickening myth. Our government is evil and the American people allow them to be evil.

This man was cleared for release under the Bush administration in 2007 and by the Obama administration in 2009. And he is still there in Guantanamo, missing his home and his family.

The above photo, and the quote came from this link. The rest of his story is at that link. The video below is of his family in his hometown. This whole situation is a hideous crime, and the people responsible should spend the rest of their lives in jail without seeing any family or friends. I will write to all my elected officials about this situation, and will include a photo of this man. I don't know what good it will do - they have no morality at all, so they will do nothing.

No comments: