Monday, January 30, 2017

Email to Mexican Embassy


I got this message on Facebook: “The Mexican President has just cancelled his visit to the US.. However, do call the Mexican Embassy to tell their President that we agree with him, that we, as Americans, don't want the wall, and if it is built, we support his stand to refuse to pay for it. (202) 728-1600 Is the number of the Embassy here. I just called the Embassy and spoke to a representative who was immensely grateful for the assurance of support. If you think this is a good idea please make the call, and copy and paste to share the idea through your FB account. Thanks! I found this email online and think it is easier: mexembusa@sre.gob.mx.”

I decided to send an email, and here it is: 

To the Mexican Embassy:

I just want to tell you that I do not agree with putting up a wall between the US and Mexico. And I certainly do not think Mexico should pay for a wall they do not need or want. 

We should be spending money on doing things to help people. We should be spending money on a better life for all people on this planet. We should be spending money on healing the planet from the pollution and contamination that humans, especially Americans, have caused.

We should be working together to build a safer, healthier world for all people. We should spend money on better education for our children, better jobs for our workers. And there is so much work that needs to be done! We should be spending money on helping people and developing peace in our world. 

I do not agree with building a symbol of hate and exclusion that will improve nothing! I welcome all immigrants and refugees to the USA. I know it makes us more diverse, and it makes us stronger and better. Or, it would, if we welcomed them instead of fearing them. Fear makes people weak and stupid, and it is making the USA a worse place to live and raise a family all the time. Unfortunately, the fear of “others” does not look like it will go away here in the USA anytime soon. And now we have elected a president who will only foster and encourage fear and ignorance and a lack of concern for other people. No matter what President Trump says or does, that is what he is doing. It is very sad.

I know for a fact that many people who have emigrated to the USA from Mexico are among some of our best and hardest workers. I know that they are good and decent people who love their families and want the best for their children and, in fact, the whole world. I know that when people from another country move to our country, it makes us more interesting, more informed and stronger. They make my life richer and more interesting. 

And I would like to quote from a favorite song of mine call The Internationale:

“Let no one build walls to divide us
Walls of hatred nor walls of stone
Come greet the dawn and stand beside us
We'll live together or we'll die alone
In our world poisoned by exploitation
Those who have taken now they must give
And end the vanity of nations
We've but one earth on which to live”

Please know that I always welcome Mexican visitors and immigrants to the USA and I always will.

Thank you, 
Susan Oehler

No comments: