Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Iraqi elections

The Iraqi elections were held yesterday, and I am glad they went as well as they did. It was mainly peaceful, and the Iraqi people really inspired me in how they faced danger and possible death in order to go vote.

I hope this vote brings the country closer to real freedom, especially freedom from want and fear.

I don't think it will happen any time soon, however. This month is the third deadliest month for US and Coalition forces since the war started. We have no idea how many Iraqis have been killed, since an accurate count is not made (that speaks volumes). We do know the Iraqi people are suffering greatly, and yesterday they took a first step in a long journey to finding their own way. I hope the elections result in good leadership, and I hope the elections are honest and fair (which I suspect a lot of the recent US election was not) and do not turn out to be a sham.

And long live the brave Iraqi people!

No comments: