Thursday, July 21, 2005

Silence

Today, the Iraqi people stood in silence in remembrance of the victims of last week's car bombs. Today, they stood in silence to take a stand against terrorists, against violence.

Today, I suspect some London punks set out to scare the local population. They succeeded.

Today, I made copies of Helena's excellent handout (adapted for our use) of the danger of nuclear bombs. I can't help thinking the real danger though, far and away, is the nuclear materials and nuclear waste being transported on our highways. All it would take is a truck accident to have a nuclear disaster. Today, people are worried about terrorists (the non-state kind) getting their hands on a nuclear bomb. I would say that is unlikely. Think truck accidents.

Today, NPR went on and on about baseball and steroids. It seems they are going down the same road as the network and cable TV "news" - which is, telling us stories about junk that is not significant and will not impact on our lives. Filling our heads with garbage, while we ignore the important issues.

I worship in silence, and believe that the wisdom of the world and it's strength, comes from silence. I think the word of God comes through the silence, and all each of us needs to do is listen for it. Today, I stood in silence with the Iraqi people, and held them in the light.

Today, I wait in hopeful silence for news about Khalid and his mother, Faiza.

No comments: