Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Horror of US Government Rendition

The article below was written by Maher Arar in response to receiving the Letelier-Moffitt International Human Rights Award. Mr. Arar was detained in NYC airport and sent to Syria, against his wishes, to be tortured. I have been following the story of Mr. Arar for a couple of years at least. It is appalling that the US government did this to him, and I sincerely hope that the men and the agencies who were behind this decision are brought to justice. And I do hope they have great difficulty sleeping at night and great difficulty looking in a mirror without throwing up. I hope they suffer ten times worse than anything Mr. Arar suffered, because (unlike Mr. Arar) they deserve it!

The Horrors of Extraordinary Rendition - By Maher Arar

“Since my release I have been suffering from anxiety, constant fear, and depression. My life will never be the same again. But I promised myself one thing, that I will continue my quest for justice as long as I have a breath. What keeps me going is my faith, Americans like yourselves and the hope that one day our planet Earth will be free of tyranny, torture and injustice.”

Maher Arar, a Canadian citizen, was a victim of the U.S. policy known as "extraordinary rendition." He was detained by U.S. officials in 2002, accused of terrorist links, and handed over to Syrian authorities, who tortured him. Arar is working with the Center for Constitutional Rights to appeal a case against the U.S. government that was dismissed on national security grounds.

No comments: