Friday, November 24, 2006

Representative Mel Watt

Representative Watt came to Asheville the Sunday before the election to do a GOTV rally for Shuler’s campaign. I had a chance to talk with him and shake his hand, and let him know that I was hold the position of state coordinator for Progressive Democrats of America. Representative Watt is a member of the Progressive Caucus and the only Representative from North Carolina who is a member of this caucus. I have a lot of respect for Mel Watt, and a deep appreciation for his votes that reflect his values and my values also. I also told Representative Watt about the Voters Peace Pledge and how over 560 people have signed that pledge in congressional district #11, which is more than twice the number of people who have signed in Representative Watt’s district. Representative Watt said that maybe that was due to the fact that they were already represented by someone who was against war, and maybe they don’t feel the need to sign such a pledge or promote the pledge within their district.

The picture above is of Susan Fisher (NC House), Mel Watt (US House) and Frieda Brown. (I do not know Frieda Brown.) Susan Fisher, like Mel Watt, is also very progressive and very responsive to voters in North Carolina. They both believe in decent human values and they both act from those values. They are both great people, and if we had a majority of people in office who were like them, we would have a MUCH better country and state. I will always support these two running for any office. I did not take notes of what Mel Watt spoke about, but I do remember him saying that he sure hoped he was right to be leaving his district to promote another Democratic candidate in another district. Representative Watt also brought some of his staff to work on Shuler’s campaign in the final days. Candidate Shuler was not at this rally because he had made a pledge to keep Sundays for his family and church only. I respect that decision. I am grateful to have the chance to meet Representative Watt and shake his hand. So far now, I have shaken the hands of Representatives Woolsey, Lee, McGovern, McDermitt and now Watt. I will only shake hands with US federal lawmakers who I consider to be decent and moral people.

No comments: