Saturday, December 02, 2006

Letters to WaPo

Sent on 11/23/06

I was appalled to read "I thought the prudent use of violence could be
therapeutic" in Cohen's article on November 21, 2006.

How can any decent person think that visiting violence on innocents is
"therapeutic"? I would say that Mr. Cohen has a lot in common with Osama
bin Laden. Please stop publishing such evil comments.


Sent on 12/2/06

I got a chuckle out of the report "Remark By Webb Arouses Passions"
and it's near complete missing of the entire point of the reactions to
Mr. Will's comments.

Will stated that the exchange was "a subtraction from the city's
civility" which strikes me as quite unlikely in light of the exchange
a few short years ago where Mr. Cheney said a cuss word to a senator
on the senate floor itself! And Mr. Bush has been caught on tape
saying a few choice cuss words himself. In light of those comments,
the exchange between Webb and Bush was quite civil indeed!

But the Washington Post article by Mr. Shear claims that the reaction
stems from a longing for someone to challenge Mr. Bush's bravado.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but my reaction stemmed from the
clear double standards in covering politicians in Washington DC.
Apparently Mr. Will is more disturbed by the fact that Mr. Webb would
not answer a rude question directly, and instead offered his position
on the ongoing disaster in Iraq. I don't recall Mr. Will getting
disturbed by Mr. Cheney's comments on the senate floor, or of Mr.
Bush's choice words.

All in all, considering what a monstrous disaster Mr. Bush has created
in Iraq, and the repercussions from the fallout of that failed policy,
I don't think a loss of decorum is too terribly important at this
time. I do wish the folks in DC would refrain from saying cuss words,
however. Of course, now we don't really have to use them. Everyone
knows what you mean when you say "Go Cheney Yourself." And that is
basically what I would like to say to Mr. Will.

No comments: