Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pakistan protests


Photo: Activists of Pakistan's main fundamentalist Islamic party of Jamaat-i-Islami (JI) carry placards as they shout slogans during an anti-US rally in Lahore on July 15, 2008. Hundreds of Islamists held the rally against the US forces operations in Iraq and Afghanistan and demanded their withdrawal. AFP PHOTO/Arif ALI (Photo credit should read Arif Ali/AFP/Getty Images)

I would say they don't like our policies at all, and probably don't like Americans very much. It is understandable - we keep bombing them and killing off innocent people in their own homes. They are right to be angry.

I got a real bit of nonsense from Senator Burr this past July. He sent a letter to me in response to my letter saying that Luis Posada Carriles should be extradited to Cuba or Venezuela because there is a lot of evidence suggesting that he was behind the bombing of a civilian airliner. Senator Burr does not agree with that idea, and this was his reasoning:

"The United State requires sufficient reassurance from countries receiving people extradited from the United States that those people will not be tortured."

I wrote back:
I suppose this is a joke, but I don't find it funny. The US has shipped hundreds of people places where they were tortured - often by Americans. This is shameful.
I sent my response to the Asheville office. Heard nothing back.

No comments: