Saturday, November 01, 2008

Time is a thief

The other night I went over to a friend’s house for the first time. It was already dark, and her steps leading up to her house were almost impossible to see. I did fine going up, but on the way down, I went very very slow……. And forgot the steps took a turn about half way down. I was carefully stepping onto what I thought was the next step, and I fell down between the wall holding up her steps and her motorcycle (or scooter). It was so dark that I did not realize there was a motorcycle there until I brushed against it. I landed on my right leg and behind.

But, what really upsets me about this is the fact that I just cannot see in the dark very well anymore. Time took that away, and I will not get it back. And as time marches on, it is likely that I will lose some more of my physical abilities, as everyone does. (The alternative is to get dead! Not such a great choice.) But this got me thinking about how aging and death are such a great part of our life cycle, and are directly the result of the fact that we reproduce sexually. Now, the bible says (or, so I have been told) that the wages of sin is death, but the scientific truth is that the wages of sex is death – and aging.

And, whether we like it or not, we really don’t have a choice. So, I find myself unable to walk for very long, or sit for very long, since this fall. I will get over it, probably in a few more days. But it does concern me on what the future may have in store.

And it sure makes me glad that I was born able-bodied, and healthy, for all of my life so far. My over 50 eyes and over 50 knees are not so hot – but then, everything else is functioning okay (except for my short term memory, which always sucked). My grandmother used to say “youth is wasted on the young”. I don’t know if I agree with that, but I know I wish I could regain some of that energy and good vision – but then, there are a few things that I am glad I left behind.

Time is a thief, and forever pressing onward. The photo is of a beautiful oak tree outside my front door. Don't think I will be taking any walks to take pictures anytime soon...... but it is beautiful right now in Asheville, and chilly at night.

No comments: