Saturday, May 23, 2009

Reflections on Canada – part one




I arrived in Hamilton on Friday evening after being gone from home for 29 hours. The actually driving part was only about 14 hours, however. I stopped to sleep and stopped to eat and stopped to get on the internet. I had no trouble crossing the border, although I thought it was weird that they wanted to know what day I was due back at my job…. And the address of the person I was staying with.

Shortly after arriving at my friend’s house, we took a walk down Ottawa street, and made a stop at Tim Horton’s on the way back. This was the original Tim Horton’s, and this was to be the first stop of many over my visit to Ontario. Then we rented the movie “Marley and Me”. I am not much of a dog person, but it was sad to see the old dog die.

On Saturday, we went out to dinner and got soaked between the car and the restaurant when the heavens really dumped. Then we went to Hamilton’s dance and I got to see some old friends from long ago.

A lot of Hamilton looked the same, and had the same smell on occasion. The roads seemed to be very rough and torn up in Hamilton. This was not true of the rest of the province, with one exception. There was a small town who’s roads were also torn up.

These are photos of the sunset in Hamilton from the top of the escarpment. As you can see, Hamilton is a pretty big city. We tried to take a walk besides the waterfront one night, but it was too cold. An old friend took me to eat at a restaurant besides the waterfront for lunch one day, and that was nice!


No comments: