Wednesday, February 23, 2011

On those torture tapes that were destroyed

So here's what the tapes would have shown: not just that we had brutally tortured an al-Qaeda operative, but that we had brutally tortured an al-Qaeda operative who was (a) unimportant and low-ranking, (b) mentally unstable, (c) had no useful information, and (d) eventually spewed out an endless series of worthless, fantastical "confessions" under duress. This was all prompted by the president of the United States, implemented by the director of the CIA, and the end result was thousands of wasted man hours by intelligence and and law enforcement personnel.
Attorney General Holder did not and will not let the US Congress question people about what was on the tapes.  Holder did not prosecute anyone for destruction of evidence. 

(However, the real reason the tapes were destroyed may be none of the above reasons – it may be that the tapes caught someone confessing to where the financial backing for the 9/11 attacks actually came from – our supposed allies.  That is just a speculation on my part, and possibly not true at all.)

The America I knew and loved DID NOT TORTURE.  The America I knew and loved DID NOT OBSTRUCT JUSTICE.  The America I knew and loved FOLLOWED THE LAW.  The America I knew and loved RESPECTED CIVIL RIGHTS AND HUMAN RIGHTS FOR ALL PEOPLE, EVERYWHERE, ALWAYS. 

And today, we have a former US president bragging about torture on national TV.  Sickening

The America I knew and loved is dead and gone.  I miss America.  I miss this country badly.  I don’t think it is ever coming back.

No comments: