Sunday, February 27, 2005

Why I want to be elected Chair of my precinct...

I will be running for Chair of my precinct for the Democratic Party on Tuesday evening. I want to help the Democratic Party become the opposition party.

First, full disclosure: I became a Democrat for Dean in the fall of 2003. Before I started working on his campaign, I was unaffiliated with any party. I voted for Kerry in this last election, and I will never, never, never again vote for the "lesser of two evils".

I intend to help reform the Democratic party here in the USA so that I do not have to!

I will not work to elect anyone who calls themselves a Democrat, just because of that reason. I will work to elect people to office who show morals, intelligence and backbone. And if they lose, well at least they lose standing for what is decent and progressive. (The way Kerry ran his campaign, trying to out-right the right wingnuts, and trying to claim he would do war better, and ignoring the suffering of the Iraqi people, and ignoring the torture scandal, made me sick.) I am so tired of having two political parties who are really two heads of the same beast. I am tired of a government of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations. I want decent people acting for the best interests of the people of the WORLD in office, particularly in DC, but here in Buncombe County also.

Last Thursday, I arrived late to a meeting of the Buncombe County Democratic Party. They had listed many issues that people are concerned about, and then they had people sign up to work on these issues. "Torture" was one such issue, along with many others. One notable absence was "Iraq" or even "war". If I am a Precinct Chair, that will never happen again. I will bring it up at each and every meeting until this illegal, immoral and oh-so-breathtakingly-stupid war is over and all US troops are out of Iraq.

I want to see the Democratic Party become the opposition party. I want them to stand up to the right-wing Republican blood-thirsty so-called Christians. (I am no expert on the Bible, but I'm pretty sure there is no where in the New Testament where Jesus said killing people was okay. Jesus said "love your enemy" and "turn the other cheek" and even "Father, forgive them, they do not know what they do"..... never did he say "hunt them down and kill them!") I want the Democrats running for office to stand up for what is right and moral and good... and stand up for our constitution and the rule of law. I want Democrats running for office who are honest and decent human beings, who will not lie, cheat, kill, torture, steal or allow others to do so. I will not participate in any attempts to "win" an election by underhanded and sneaky means or by telling lies or not standing for what you believe in. If they speak the truth and the public decides they would rather have the other candidate, then so be it. The Americans will get what they deserve, unfortunately for the rest of the world, they will get undeserved suffering. I will not turn my back on those suffering people. I do not think (as many Americans seem to do) that this is "all about me!"

It is about decency, honesty, truth and justice. Ironically enough, it is about following the teachings of Jesus Christ. Ironic because the blood-thirsty Republicans think they are the Christians, simply because large numbers of them show up in churches. They seem to have missed the "what you do unto these, the least of my brothers, you do unto me" lesson.

I will post on Tuesday if I get elected precinct chair.

No comments: