Sunday, October 05, 2008

Events in Asheville This Week

Information on upcoming events in the area, and online actions that a peace activist can take, are posted on the WNC Peace Coalition blog. There is also information on candidate Obama's visit to Asheville, and I will be protesting along McDowell Street. I hear he will be in town until Monday night. I got an email today that had a picture from Hendersonville, NC. The picture said:
Osama
Obama
Not American
Not Welcome

Now, that is pretty sick. I will not be voting for Obama in the early voting later this month, but I still think it is only fair to give him a chance (and if he comes out with a peace oriented platform, I will vote for him). Saying that he is a terrorist or not American is racist and stupid.

I have not written anything about this stupid bailout for the rich that the US Congress passed this week - but I will say that it will not work. They have about 55 TRILLION dollars in debt on the books of various financial institutions in the US, and a mere 700 BILLION dollars will hardly touch that. It is a ponzi scheme, and they should let it fall.

Keep in mind, that they could not find $35 billion to fund health care for children in the US for five years, and last spring, could not fund a proposal for $20 billion to help homeowners who are being foreclosed on..... and you can bet this bill will not help those home owners either. We will be facing some very tough economic times in the near future, and they will try some more bailout bills for the rich. It is stupid, but then a lot of the population in the US is stupid. I found out yesterday that the reading level for adults in the US has been going down for the last few decades. This does not bode well for the future.

No comments: