Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Real People???

I spent the weekend camping out at Gooney Creek, near Front Royal, VA. I told the lady who runs the campground about the great service I got at one local restaurant and the terrible service I got at another local restaurant. She asked me if the restaurant was run by real people or by Chinese or Vietnamese people.

Sometimes, I wonder just how truly stupid Americans are.

Today was not successful - no one was at the AFSC when I went there today, and neither Getler or Milbank was at the Washington Post when I showed up there with my display boards. But Cindy Sheehan is going to meet me at Rep. Jones office on Wednesday, and I hope she will stick with me for the rest of the day. Cindy's son, Casey Sheehan, was killed in Iraq in April 2004. Cindy is now a powerful voice for peace. She knows the terrible true cost of this war.

I finished reading "A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Truchan, which I don't really recommend. It is a long, sad tale of the 14th century and the stupidity of man. But here are some quotes from the book:

"Neither party could know that they were opening a war that would outlast both of them, that would develop a life of it's own, defying parleys and truces and treaties designed to stop it, that would drag on into their son's lives and the lives of their grandsons and great grandsons and great great grandsons to the fifth generation, that would bring havoc to both sides and become, as it's damage spread through Europe, the final torment of the Middle Ages."

"As the era of the sword was ending, that of firearms began, in time to allow no lapse in man's belligerent capacity."

"...... force, once employed, quickly became rapine, difficult to restrain."

And in all the history of the world, weapons once designed and produced, were always utilized. So far, only on two occasions has nuclear weapons been used, but the weapons are still present and ready to be used by many nations. This does not bode well for the future of the world.

No comments: