Sunday, May 28, 2006

UFPJ and PDA meetings in May 2006

PDA FIELD REPORT

I arrived late, due to AMTRAK being very slow today and way behind schedule. PDA says a thriving chapter means a data collection person, so everywhere PDA goes, have a sign up sheet and collect contact names and add to databases.

Mike@pdamerica.org
Send stories of state and local activities to share ideas to Mike.

PDA would like one chapter per CD, and would rather they be listed that way.

In NC, Alamance did not indicate that they were an active chapter. Gilford is a new chapter.

PDA Discussed: war, OHIO (voting integrity), single-payer health care, fair trade, poverty issues

What can we do to make a difference in 18 days? work on CA campaign - see PDA website.

Rev. Yarwood said a prayer of "this is what America looks like" and spoke on Stop Offending the Citizens (see below). He also mentioned "kill the oppressors" which I found disturbing.


Stop Offending Me!

It offends me that my country started up a war on a pack of lies. It offends me that they continue to lie and continue to change the lies about this immoral war. It offends me that US agents are "disappearing" people around the world. It offends me that US military and US agents are using torture. It offends me that evidence from torture is being admitted to courts. It offends me that people are being detained without charges.

STOP OFFENDING ME!


Democrat's plan is to co-opt and contain the progressive movement. PDA/DFA do not have an abundance of riches, so we need to reach out to local DFA and ask how we can help them and how we can work together.

Stand up.
Take action.
Take action today.
Your freedom and my freedom are linked together.

Progressive Promise:

1. Protect the environment and achieve energy independence
2. global peace and security
3. civil rights and civil liberties
4. economic justice

see cpc.lee.house.gov

We are not proving security in Iraq. US troops need to be withdrawan from Iraq, starting NOW. Leave Iraq for Iraqis and impeach the liars who started this war for immaginary WMDs.

I propose for NC state convention:
1. out of Iraq resolution
2. Impeach
3. state legislature to work on impeachment issues

(I will have PDA "Out of Iraq" stickers to hand out at the convention, and I hope ALL PDA people help me hand them out to every person at the state convention. Also, when the resolutions come out, I hope the above three ideas are in those resolutions. I expect #1 and #2 will be, so I will do a half page handout to urge NC Democrats to vote for these resolutions to hand out to every person at the state convention. I will be able to write up a resolution for #3, but I am not sure they will accept resolutions from the floor.)



UFPJ: Be confident in your right to be there in the halls of congress and your right to have them listen to you. Congress needs your imput. Start out saying "Thanks for meeting with you and that you know they are busy. We are here to discuss what needs to be done next in Iraq."


Iran War Discussion

Two things are being considered: attack and nuclear attack. Only thing that will work (in the long run) is to abolish all nuclear weapons and nuclear power in all countries. There was an offer on the table from Putin to get number of nuclear weapons down to 1000-1500, which would have lead to a possible world treaty. This was rejected by US authorities. Gorbochev said no nuclear weapons at all, but Reagan wanted Star Wars, so that fell through. Today, the US is not interested in negotiations with Iran, and this is a very poor policy.

No comments: