Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Impeachment protest on the 4th of July









.






















Impeachment protest on the 4th of July

Five friends and I decided to protest at the local 4th of July celebration. We made some signs, with my signs saying HONK TO IMPEACH, and went downtown. Three of us stood on the corner of an intersection that has a round-about in it, and the other three stood inside the round-about.

Most of the reactions we got were very positive, with the many pedestrians saying HONK, HONK when they saw us – it was mainly pedestrians down there. We got honks too. But, of course, some folks were very unhappy to see us. Andy and I had a minor confrontation with a lady who walked right up to us and said to stop blocking the crosswalk. Well, we were in no way blocking the crosswalk, and Andy said some stuff back to her, and then her husband started threatening him for “getting in his wife’s business” when in actually, the women was getting in our business.

Then the local police showed up. They first asked the people in the round-about if they had a permit. Well, you don’t need a city permit for six people to hold signs, but we of course do have a permit – it is known as THE BILL OF RIGHTS. Seems the police think that does not apply in the city, which is odd. Then the protesters asked to let them know what city ordinance they were violating. That required several more cop cars, a half dozen cops and even the Chief of Police to answer that one – which they finally did answer by saying the round-about was part of the roadway, and we were not allowed to stand in the roadway. So, the protesters in the round-about moved to the corner where the rest of us were standing. The cop came over and explained (to those of us who did not hear the original explanation) that the round-about was part of the roadway, so I asked him if it was okay to drive my car across the round-about – he said he would not discuss that.

All in all, it was a successful little protest – with probably over 50% totally supporting us. I had a message on my car when I got back: “Fabulous License Plates!”. My NC car license plate says IMPEACH. I think we need to do more protests. I’m going for Friday at 4 PM in front of our local Representative’s office, on Biltmore Avenue. Please join me!

  • "Remember, those who sacrifice liberty for security will have neither"

No comments: