Saturday, January 01, 2005

And here's one the Washington Post did publish

I almost missed it.... didn't read the WaPo on Christmas Eve.

Blogging in the Fog of War

Friday, December 24, 2004; Page A16

I started reading Iraqi blogs like those that Howard Kurtz chronicled ["Iraqi Bloggers, In the News And Critiquing It," Style, Dec. 20] just after the war started. Today when I read them, it feels as if I am reading "The Diary of Anne Frank" in real time.

I see some differences, of course. Anne Frank had heat, water and lights, but she could not leave her cramped dwelling. She also knew who her enemies were.

Across Iraq, the bloggers are allowed to leave their homes (in Fallujah, they were required to leave), but they do not know who wishes them harm and so they don't feel it is safe to leave their homes. Mostly, they are without heat and water, and only occasionally do they have electricity.

The blogs make for interesting reading. I hope things turn out better for the diary writers in Iraq than they did for Anne Frank.
SUSAN OEHLER
Asheville, N.C.

No comments: