Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Comments on Edwards

In recent posts on Daily Kos, there has been talk about John Edwards running for US president (again). I live in North Carolina, and happily voted for Edwards for Senator in 1998. I reluctantly voted for Kerry/Edwards in 2004 because the alternative was so unbelievably horrible. But I am no longer a supporter of Edwards for any federal office. I just don't think he is up to the task, that he has the judgment and foresight necessary to do the job. Here is what I wrote in the comments on a Daily Kos blog:


I fought this war of aggression on Iraq 100% non-stop. Still am.

And one of the things I did was write letters to my Senator John Edwards. I told him there were no nuclear WMDs in Iraq, and that chemical or biological WMDs, if there, could not hurt us. I told him that Iraq was not attacking or threatening anyone at this time.... I told him the neighboring countries did not see Iraq as a threat. I told him war should be THE LAST RESORT.... not the first or second. And when war started I sent him a tear-soaked letter saying:

I HOPE YOU FIND THOSE WMDS IN IRAQ!!!!

I knew, of course, that they would not. It was not hard to figure out that the Bush regime was LYING.

NOW, THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE DEAD.

THIS IS NO SMALL THING. IT IS A HUGE, EVIL CRIME.

The US started a war of aggression that violated the Nuremberg Principles. Just like Saddam. Just like Hitler. Oh, and by the way, violating the Nuremberg Principles also means we violated the US Constitution. Edwards voted against that too, with the damn Patriot Act.

From the original blog posting: "Is there some test one has to pass in order to have a credible plan?"

YES.

One must have the ability to think, reason, listen and find out the truth. In regards to Iraq, Edwards has no plan, except admit it was a mistake (when the political winds shifted and it was safe to do that) and say 'drawdown troops'.

I have yet to hear him utter a word about all the hundreds of thousand of DEAD INNOCENT PEOPLE AND HOW HE MIGHT HELP THEM.

And I can tell you one more thing: we are going to look back one day and wish we only had a war in Iraq, and not a war across the entire Middle East. Think Edwards can handle that? I do not.

No comments: