Thursday, November 08, 2007

It sickens me too

Photo: Doug Mills/The New York Times / Senators Dianne Feinstein, Russell D. Feingold and Charles E. Schumer after the vote on Tuesday.

In the picture, Senator Feingold looks like he is ready to lose his lunch. I called his office to tell his staff that I am about to lose my lunch also. This photo was taken after the Mukasey vote. I called Schumer’s office too – I heard on Democracy Now today that Senator Schumer voted for Mukasey for Attorney General because if he didn’t bush would appoint someone worse. I called to tell his staff member that if Schumer won’t do what is right because he is afraid someone else will do something wrong, then he is just a bed-wetter and he needs to get a different job. His staffer said that voting against Mukasey would be a “symbolic gesture”. I called Senator Feinstein’s office today also, and let them know that I do not agree with her capitulation to torture.

So, we continue down the path to torture, which we started on long ago.

And one US Senator thinks doing what is right would be a “symbolic gesture”.

When I see the photos or videos of protestors getting arrested in DC, I think ‘THE WRONG DAMN PEOPLE ARE GETTING ARRESTED’. I called Schumer’s office again and told the staffer it is “NEVER, EVER, A SYMBOLIC GESTURE TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT.” I repeated that three times, and then asked if he understood it. He said he did. I am not sure that he was the same person I talked to originally, but I told him what I had heard before.

I am sickened.

No comments: