Friday, November 16, 2007

Military-equipment shipments from Olympia port















HAVE ENDED.

PHOTO: Protesters are hit with pepper spray as they attempt to get in front of Stryker vehicles as they move up Marine Drive from the Port of Olympia late Tuesday, November 13, 2007. (Steven M. Herppich/The Olympian)

PHOTO: Olympia police in riot gear fill the street at the entrance to the Port of Olympia as they prepare to clear anti-war protesters who were trying to block the convoy of military vehicles on Tuesday night. (Tony Overman/The Olympian)

All ground shipments of military equipment had left the Port of Olympia as of 4:20 p.m. today, according to an Olympia Police Department news release. At least five protesters were arrested and pepper spray used on them by police as drivers started to take military equipment from the Port of Olympia to Fort Lewis this afternoon.


Well, it appears that military shipments have ended from the port. I don’t know if this means that they found another route, gave up, or there is no more shipments coming from Iraq. Sixty anti-war demonstrators have been arrested trying to block military equipment. They faced a lot to reach this point, and I admire them. They faced repeated pepper sprays, and police batons. Their goal was to stop the US military from using the Port of Olympia.


From another report:

Kelly Beckham, one of numerous anti-war demonstrators directly sprayed in the eyes with pepper spray, said, “I was in agony because I didn’t know what was happening. I couldn’t see anything and they had to carry me away. I was really angry. They wouldn’t let the medics approach anyone who had been hurt. This is nothing compared to the suffering of the Iraqi people.” Alex Patia, 18 year old said, “I have been through lots of painful medical procedures and I was in the most pain I have ever felt in my life, but I want to see an end to this war and my actions today are my patriotic duty.” Many protesters wore goggle to protect themselves from chemical attack. Andrew Yankey reported the officer in charge giving the orders, “Take off their goggles. Spray under their goggles.” He also witnessed police stealing water from demonstrators, drinking it and laughing at demonstrators as they were in agony. Pepper spray causes immediate swelling of the eyes, severe pain, upper body spasms, difficulty breathing, coughing and may cause severe allergic reactions in some individuals. Repeated exposure can cause long lasting changes in vision.


On to the next protest......

No comments: