Wednesday, December 12, 2007

December 12th - Harry Taylor!


December 12th

Harry Taylor stood up to bush at an event in Charlotte, NC in April 2006. This event was hosted by the World Affairs Council of Charlotte. The picture comes from the Think Progress website, and that is where I got the transcript of the exchange between Harry Taylor and Bush:

Q You never stop talking about freedom, and I appreciate that. But while I listen to you talk about freedom, I see you assert your right to tap my telephone, to arrest me and hold me without charges, to try to preclude me from breathing clean air and drinking clean water and eating safe food. If I were a woman, you’d like to restrict my opportunity to make a choice and decision about whether I can abort a pregnancy on my own behalf. You are –

THE PRESIDENT: I’m not your favorite guy. Go ahead. (Laughter and applause.) Go on, what’s your question?

Q Okay, I don’t have a question. What I wanted to say to you is that I — in my lifetime, I have never felt more ashamed of, nor more frightened by my leadership in Washington, including the presidency, by the Senate, and –

AUDIENCE MEMBERS: Booo!

THE PRESIDENT: No, wait a sec — let him speak.

Q And I would hope — I feel like despite your rhetoric, that compassion and common sense have been left far behind during your administration, and I would hope from time to time that you have the humility and the grace to be ashamed of yourself inside yourself. And I also want to say I really appreciate the courtesy of allowing me to speak what I’m saying to you right now. That is part of what this country is about.

THE PRESIDENT: It is, yes. (Applause.)

Q And I know that this doesn’t come welcome to most of the people in this room, but I do appreciate that.

THE PRESIDENT: Appreciate –

Q I don’t have a question, but I just wanted to make that comment to you.


There is a link to the video of this transaction at that website also. I have a great deal of respect for Harry Taylor for making this stand and for speaking truth to bush.

Now, Harry Taylor is going to run for the US House of Representatives in Congressional District #9 in North Carolina. It is clear to see that he would be a great addition to the House – he speaks the truth, believes in the US Constitution, and is not afraid of the war-mongerers. On top of all that, Harry is grounded in reality. He has expressed his support of progressive values – women’s privacy, civil rights, taking care of your environment.

Here is Harry, speaking in his own words, on a post at Daily Kos.

I don’t pretend to come before you with all the answers to every challenge facing America. But what I can tell you is what I believe.

I believe that, that regardless of what party we belong to, where we live or go to church, regardless of our age or gender, color or economic circumstance, we are far more alike than different. I don't believe we need to live in a country that is divisive and polarized. I am positive that we can find ways to agree, to get along, to move forward. When you consider issues that our country is addressing today...war, access to medical care, climate change, consumer and drug safety...these are literally life and death issues. They warrant and demand fair, unbiased solutions that work for the largest possible number of people. We do have the ability to get along, to create win/win solutions...and the Congress needs to lead that effort.

I believe in mutual responsibility as well as the personal responsibility I spoke of earlier. It's true that we all have to be accountable for our actions individually, but that we as a society need to be accountable to each other, and to look out for each other.

So, why have they picked this date, December 12th, to promote Harry Taylor for Congress? Because today is the anniversary of a very sad day in America. It is the day the US Supreme Court decided that bush should be handed the 2000 election, even though Al Gore had won the popular vote. Seven long years ago, our democracy was undermined, and look at the mess we have today.

Please support Harry Taylor in his campaign for US House of Representatives! And please contribute to the 12/12 fund raiser - they are asking 4,000 NEW supporters to give $25 each, thereby raising $100,000 in one day! Please go here to make a contribution.

No comments: