Friday, April 11, 2008

Some ideas on re-criminalizing crime


Seems there is a lot of talk lately on the net about an attack on Iran. First, I don’t think there will be an attack on Iran. But the general trend seems to be a push to have some legislation developed in the US Congress that says that bush cannot attack Iran without Congressional approval.

Well, our Constitution clearly says that only Congress can declare war, and bombing some country is an act of war.

If I recall correctly, clinton bombed several places without a vote from Congress saying that he could go to war. Places like Sudan, Serbia, Afghanistan – did he bomb them too? I forget. They do it so regularly. And bush has bombed the heck out of Iraq and Afghanistan without our Congress voting for war on either place, unless that ‘authorization’ is counted as a declaration of war. Seems like bush senior and reagan did it also. Can’t remember if Carter did…..

But, there are serious problems with re-criminalizing ALREADY CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR. That is what they tried to do with torture, instead of passing more laws that bush does a signing statement around, THEY SHOULD START IMPEACHMENT PROCEEDINGS.

Since this effort was pretty much a failure, bush can claim he does not torture while he allows water boarding. It seems the only purpose served was to trick people into thinking that the Dems are actually doing something about all the criminal actions of the bush/cheney administration, when in fact, they are not.

We don’t need new laws. We need the laws we have, and the US Constitution, ENFORCED.

Now, how about de-criminalizing crimes?

That is what bush wanted them to do with the telecom immunity act. What the telecoms did, and what bush and his administration did, was ILLEGAL. I don’t know where they get the idea that they can get a ‘get out of jail free’ card even before they are even arrested!

If I break the law, do I get to call for the laws to be changed before they arrest me? Well, that’s what the bush/cheney administration think they should get! Those FISA laws were put in place to stop the more powerful politicians from spying on other politicians outside the overview of a court. But the bush/cheney administration got the “goods” on some of those DC congress critters, which is why they can get them to vote for something that is in NO ONE’S best interests. However, in spite of this, Congress did manage to say “no” to retroactive immunity to telecoms for their criminal actions. Our local Representative, voted to pass this hideous legislation.

This whole business had nothing to do with national security. There were plenty of legal ways to get warrants on Americans or foreigners if there was a question of national security, and those laws have been around for decades. This spying by the bush/cheney administration was to collect data on any American they wanted, to use for blackmail. I have always said that I don’t care if they listen to my every phone call, read every email, open all snail mail – as long as they forward to me without too much lost time. But they don’t have the “goods” on me, since I am not involved in any illegal activities, or any “scandalous” activities. I may be opinionated, but I have a calm and ordinary life.

But they are “spying” on all of us – with the “they” being all the corporations out there who want to sell us something. It is all for corporate profit, and I really don’t think they give a damn about national security, they just want to sell, sell, sell and sell some more. I signed up not to get stupid commercial offers in the mail a few years back. That really cut back on the new VISA and Mastercard offers. However, the last few years I have been exceptionally healthy, with little prescriptions and doctor visits and no hospital time for a couple of decades. So what do I get in the mail now? Offers of health insurance! They know that I am healthy (which I am grateful for) and therefore a good risk to sell some stupid health insurance to – and if I got a diagnosis of something, the offer would disappear in record time.

Oh, “they” are spying on us alright.

(photo: taken last year of my friend John. Hey, we tried to promote impeachment!)

No comments: