Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Massively evil

Photo: Defense Secretary Robert Gates talks with Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, April 10, 2008, prior to the start of the committee's hearing on the future of Iraq.

(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

Massively evil. That is what Levin's idea - to make Iraqis pay for their own occupation and destruction of their country and culture - is. Massively evil. I called his Senate office twice yesterday afternoon, and started talking about how evil it is to suggest that the Iraqi people should pay for their own occupation. They hung up on me twice. They did not pick up for the third call.

I keep thinking that I need to just give up on the Democrats entirely. Then some Democrat will tell me that I have more in common with them than any other group and that the party is "what you make it" since the Democrats are inclusive and you can bring in your ideas and make the Democrats into a reflection of your own values.

And then I hear about people like Levin proposing massively evil ideas like making Iraqis pay for the occupation and destruction of their country. I know I have NOTHING in common with people who are capable of thinking up such ideas and speaking them out loud. They have no shame. I think I still do. The picture above looks like a good ole boys club - the principle actors are old white men, and the photographers around them are old white guys too, and they have a look of worship on their faces. It is sickening. Neither one of these men are decent people. (The photographer is a women, however.)

I have been working for, and with, and on, the Democrats since 2003. I realized they needed help, but it seems to me that in fundamental ways - they do not intend to change. I guess that is true of nearly all Americans. They won't change until some painful event MAKES them change. Something like the total collapse of our economy, or having our war-making ways come home to roost in a big way.

Meanwhile, Americans are still walking around thinking the deaths on 9/11 were a big deal - that is, the ones that happened on American soil due to a terrorist attack. They don't think the 36,000 deaths on 9/11/01 that happened to children who starved to death as something worthy of even noticing. And then, instead of helping other countries, we spend future generation's funds to destroy other countries around the world, and wonder 'why they hate us'.

They hate us because too many of us, like Levin, are EVIL.

I have seen several programs lately (like Progressive Democrats and American Friends Service Committee) that promote the idea that we could meet human needs if only we weren't spending it on war. Well, I always thought that was not the best approach - for starters, we are not paying for the wars at this time. We are leaving that for future generations. Secondly, it leads to evil ideas like Levin has - that the Iraqi people should pay for their own destruction.

The phone number for the US Senate is 202-224-3121 - if you feel like making a call.

No comments: