Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day 2008


Hey, I worked all day - and it was a busy one at that. But I didn't want Earth Day to pass without noting it. I often write and blog on peace and social justice issues - or, more precisely, the lack thereof in the US government - but I have to say that when I am just rationally thinking about things, then the state of our planet is probably the most important issue of all. That is because we all have to live here!

I did whitewater kayaking for 20 years, and before that did backpacking and camping. I got to see some very amazing things and really enjoyed the beauty of this planet, especially the rivers. I also got to see close up how we were destroying it, although now you don't have to go anywhere special to see that - it is showing up in the polluted air and over development everywhere.

Our corporate masters who are the designers of war are also at war with the whole planet. And it seems to me the planet is losing. Another massive problem that we are facing is over population. Can't blame me for that one - I never reproduced! I love kids though, and wish I had one or two, but that was not where my live lead.

Tonight, I found out Hillary Clinton is coming to Asheville on Thursday. The insanity that has been going on around the country is now coming to North Carolina. I have another commitment until 7:30 that night, but I would love to ask her if she thinks about all the Iraqi people who she has helped kill and whose lives she has helped destroyed. I would love to ask that of John Edwards too.

I already voted. I did not vote for Clinton.

I voted for Neal for US Senate, and Purdue for Governor (not so sure about that one). I voted for Besse for Lt. Governor (there are several good candidates in that race, with only Dillinger being a real horse's behind). I voted for Bothwell, Jones, and Bailey for County Commissioners. I voted for Goodwin for Insurance Commissioner and Wood for Auditor. I voted for Atkinson for Superintendent of Public Instruction and Judge Ruth for Tyson seat.

For what it is worth.......

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UPDATE:

This is just too much:

Airmen celebrate Earth Day 2008
SAN ANTONIO (AFPN) -- Airmen around the world are celebrating Earth Day with the knowledge that they play an important role in keeping the world green. Earth Day officially started in 1970 by Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson in the belief that people needed a day to recognize environmental concerns.

Air Force officials have taken strides to be greener. From using new synthetic fuels in aircraft, to taking advantage of renewable energy, Airmen across the Air Force continue to play a pivotal role in protecting the most important resource, the earth.

This came with a pretty picture of a flower, with a child’s hand – and it looks like the child is going to pick the flower – which means the flower DIES. Well, Mr. Air Force Guys – YOU ARE NOT GREEN.

Being GREEN does not include dropping bombs all over the world and destroying humans, animals, the environment and human structures. It does not mean spreading DU dust around and making every living thing sick.

On top of all that destruction, Mr. Air Force Guy uses up MILLIONS OF GALLONS OF OIL A YEAR TO DROP ALL THOSE BOMBS.

The US Air Force is not protecting the earth, and they are not even protecting Americans. They are protecting multi-national oil corporations in Iraq. They are destroying the earth, and destroying our humanity, and destroying our future.

“The war for oil is a war for the beast. The war on terror is a war on peace.” – Michael Franti

No comments: