Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Impeachment petitions

Today, I mailed out the impeachment petition that I had gotten people to sign. I collected over 500 signatures with very little time or effort - mainly because I don't have extra time to do this, even while I wish I did. About 270 of these signatures were from people in North Carolina. I sent copies of the petition to Grassroots Impeachment Movement, Rep. Kucinich and (the NC ones) to Rep. Shuler. Below is the letter I included with the petitions I sent to Shuler.

Dear Rep. Shuler;

I collected these signatures on these petitions over two month’s time, with very little effort. I am only mailing the ones from people in North Carolina, but I got quite a few from out of state people too. I sent a copy of all of these signatures to Rep. Kucinich.

At Bele Chere, I held my sign for exactly 90 minutes and got 132 signatures. Imagine how many I would have gotten if I had spent the entire weekend doing this! But, unfortunately, I have other obligations and commitments and could not do that. I had people stopping me while walking on the street with a sign saying “sign petition to impeach” because they want to see these criminals impeached.

Since Bele Chere, I collected these signatures when I could, which was not very often. I did this because I believe bush and cheney are war criminals and the only peaceful and non-violent remedy we have to their abuses of power and torture, murder, genocide that they have ordered is IMPEACHMENT.

But it looks like the Democrats in DC are not interested in following this route, even while the majority of citizens support it. I fail (totally) to see how this lack of action will help our standing in the world, our civil rights here at home, or even the Democratic party itself. The Republicans sure don’t have any problems with going after Clinton for a blow-job. What bush and cheney have done is vastly more serious than a extramarital blow-job.

I am of the opinion that the American people elect people to office that reflect themselves, but in this case, the American people are way ahead of the elected officials.

But, if the Democrats do not want to lead or do what is the morally right thing to do, I certainly am not going to keep beating a dead donkey forever.

No comments: