Friday, March 14, 2008

Stop the bombs

The DOE (Dept of Energy) is trying to build a new bomb complex. The plan is to make new nuclear bombs, most likely in Oak Ridge, TN. They had a public hearing on February 26th in Oak Ridge. If (like me) you could not make it to Oak Ridge for this hearing, then you can send them a letter or an email to state your opposition to this plan. My letter is below, and I chose to mail it. However, you can send an email to complextransformation@nnsa.doe.gov

Comment period ends on April 10, 2008. More information on this Complex Transformation Plan and the resistance against this program at STOP THE BOMBS website.

Theodore Wyka
Complex Transformation SPEIS Document Mgr
US Department of Energy
1000 Independence Ave S W
Washington DC 20585


Dear Mr. Wyka:

I am writing this letter to you today to voice my opposition to the building of more nuclear bombs or nuclear weapons plants. I do not want to see a continuing arms race, because I feel this will one day lead to a horrible disaster.

I am not able to come to the hearings at Oak Ridge on Tuesday, February 26, 2008. I am sending this letter to voice my opposition to these plans called “Complex Transformation”. I feel we do not need to maintain or “improve” our current stockpile of nuclear weapons. In fact, I think it is insane to keep spending money on things like this. I want to see a world free of nuclear weapons, and the way to achieve that is to stop making new bombs and to work for world-wide nuclear disarmament. This dialogue needs to start today, and the USA needs to lead the way. The last thing we need to do is build more nuclear bombs. This would be the hight of hypocrisy. The USA should demonstrate global leadership towards nuclear disarmament.

Also, I don’t want my tax dollars spend on this type of warfare which could make the world an unfit place to live. I want my tax dollars spent on meeting human needs. I am convinced that, if we had chosen to help people instead of bomb them the last fifty years, the world would be a much better place today.

Thank you for reading my comments.

[Picture above was taken by me. It is a beautiful world, which is why I don't want to see it get wrecked. - dancewater]

No comments: