Thursday, March 27, 2008

UNCA Rally on Thursday


On Thursday, the SDS group at UNCA organized a walk-out from their campus to downtown. I was there to table for Progressive Democrats of America and the WNC Peace Coalition. It was very windy, but dry. It was exciting to see and hear the students marching up Patton Avenue towards Pack Square. A couple of them had Iraqi flags, such as in this photo.

This was a small group too - about 60 people. They had some great chants and some great speakers - all of whom used a megaphone, since getting permits from the city was too expensive for this group. One woman, Charla, stood on the big stone in this picture and gave a rousing speech. Cicada and I represented WNC Peace Coalition, and ended by having everyone sing "If I had a hammer" and "Ain't gonna study war no more". I really enjoyed this rally. It was lively and spirited.

Next year, the 6th anniversary of the invasion and occupation and destruction of Iraq will be on a Thursday/Friday (depending on if you call it on the 19th or 20th), and we are discussing having one big rally - who knows where. I know one thing - I will not propose "Six days of action for six years of occupation". Between the events scheduled this week and all the blogging on Iraq (see Iraq Today blog for a rundown on all the stories published this week), I find that I am exhausted.

The last event for this week was the taking down of the Iraqi Civilian Peace Flags at UU church. A lot of these flags ended up sliding down their poles, indicating that we need to replace some of them. Unfortunately, some of the poles were stepped on, but a guy from UU church is going to straighten them out. We think it was kids who did this.

I think it is important to get out on the streets and show our opposition to this illegal and immoral war - so that the rest of the world knows that we do not support the evil our government is doing. I called the White House Comment Line (202-456-1112) three times this week and told them to tell bush about the thousands of Iraqi children who are in Syria and are engaging in prostitution in order to survive. I also told them to tell bush to go to hell.

Update on Shuler Town Hall Meeting: well, that was mainly, but not totally, worthless. I did get a great cookie out of it. I got there late (had to work late) but did give flyers on our upcoming events for No More Victims to two staff members of Shuler's office. I gave them to a few other people too. Shuler was going on and on about prayer breakfasts that they hold in DC, and how the Democrats and Republicans have to work together (seems to me they are - they are working together to destroy our country and most of the world), and how they should treat one another with concern and care about each other.

Frankly, most of those lawmakers in DC only get contempt from me.

There was a handout there from the Network of Spiritual Progressives, and a friend mentioned how they have some cool ideas - some of which sounded like Shuler's ideas of everyone getting along.

Well, I don't want to 'get along'. I want the damn criminals arrested, tried and put in jail. I WANT THE KILLING TO STOP.

But, no sign of that. Those idiots will keep having their prayer breakfasts and shaking hands and cooperating with one another, and the crimes and the torture and the kidnappings and the murders and the wars of aggression will keep going merrily on and on and on........

Until the economy crashes. That is going to happen, and I hope it puts an end to all these crimes, at least for a while.

No comments: