Monday, March 25, 2013

Letter writing campaign by Witness Against Torture

I am sending off this letter:


Detainee Name:  Al Sabri, Mashur
Detainee ISN: 324
Guantánamo Bay
P.O. Box 160
Washington, D.C. 20053
United States of America

March 25, 2013


Salaam Alaykum,

I recently learned about the ongoing hunger strike undertaken by a large number of the prisoners at Guantánamo. I am writing to express my outrage at your continued detention without charge or trial, or any real justice before the law.

I am deeply moved by your continued resolve, your determination to remind us that you are human beings and deserve to be treated as such. I am appalled that you continue to suffer inhumane and degrading treatment: not only do many of you continue to be held indefinitely without charge or trial, but we have learned that you have been subjected to increased harassment, including the desecration of Korans and confiscation of personal effects such as family photos and personal letters.

Many concerned U.S. citizens plan to abstain from food, in a solidarity fast lasting from March 24th through 30th. This fast is voluntary and is in no way comparable to your hunger strike, but we hope that it will, God willing, lead to the closing of Guantanamo and true justice for the men held there. I will not be fasting, but I will be praying for you and all the prisoners in Guantanamo.

Please know that you are not forgotten, that you are in our hearts.

Sincerely,


Here is a link to the full list of names and instructions for this campaign.

No comments: