Tuesday, March 26, 2013

My visit with Senator Hagan last week



I went to DC last week to lobby on climate issues with FCNL. We had training on Sunday and Monday, and on Tuesday met with legislative aids from Senator Burr, Senator Hagan, Representative Price and Representative McHenry. Then, on Wednesday, I went to Carolina Coffee hour at Senator Hagan's office. At this event, you get to talk directly to Senator Hagan and get your picture taken.  (and then they sent it to you and post on Facebook). I directly asked Senator Hagan to vote NO on the resolution approving the Keystone XL Pipeline. She said that she was meeting with some folks later in the day about how the pipeline would be an economic boost (it won't be, at least for the USA). She also agreed with me about the climate changing and that the burning of coal is making little children sick.

And then she voted YES on the resolution approving the pipeline. Such a disappointment.

And then last Friday (while I was out of town) some of my friends protested and got arrested at a local TD Bank, as the post before and after this one shows. I am proud of them! Hope they are more successful than I was with Senator Hagan. I plan to join them in future protests.

No comments: