Friday, October 22, 2010

The great EAT DOWN

I am currently in an "eat down" mod.


My reason - my neighbor died, and I volunteered to take all her remaining food to the local food bank (except for the opened stuff, and the beer and wine - which I kept). I noticed that she had a LOT of stuff by the "best by" date - sometimes the best by date was 1999 or 1998!!

And then I decided to go through every cabinet that I have - and I found stuff that was past the "best by" date (but only a year or less). I separated out the food into PAST best by date and NOT PAST the best by date.  The later group I donated to the food bank.  I would eat the rest of it before restocking.

That was a over month ago. I can see now that I am going to end up with pasta and cereal..... and nothing else.

I am purchasing fresh items needed to complete the food I have - like milk for cereal and eggs for the cake mixes.  I kinda doubt I will get it all eaten by Thanksgiving, and I really don't have all that much.  My deceased neighbor, on the other hand, had a lot.

I will post when I reach the end of the "eat down".

No comments: