Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Obama promises to end the war back in 2007

Obama talking about the war in Iraq - three years ago.


“I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank.” ~ Candidate Barack Obama, October 27, 2007.



Quote: "When I am commander in chief, I will set a new goal on Day One: I will end this war. - I will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. We can responsibly remove one to two combat brigades each month." - Fayetteville, N.C., March 19, 2008
Pledge tracker: Has Obama delivered on campaign promises? - USATODAY.com

What would be your top three national security priorities if you were elected?
My first priority would be to end the war in Iraq. It has cost America dearly in terms of blood and treasure, been a diversion from the fight against al Qaeda, stretched our military, and undermined the view of the United States the world wide. Ending the war in Iraq will permit us to develop a comprehensive strategy against terrorism, which will be another chief national security priority of my administration.

Barack Obama on the Issues | Campaign 2008 | washingtonpost.com

Obama campaigned on a promise to bring a swift end to a war that has claimed the lives of more than 4,300 U.S. soldiers and drained the U.S. Treasury of hundreds of billions of dollars.
With an economy only starting to recover from recession and a deteriorating security situation in Afghanistan, the Iraq war has not been a top priority for Obama, although he has appointed his vice president, Joe Biden, to manage it.
Reuters AlertNet - RPT-ANALYSIS-Obama faces moment of truth with Iraq election

No comments: